Growing into a Brand of Their Own
An established men’s wedding band e-tailer jumped feet-first in launching a sister company, confident in their assumption that they could carbon-copy their existing marketing strategy to enter the highly-competitive, and very different, women’s engagement ring sphere.
In setting out to establish a brand that prides itself on individualism and being different, this company failed to spot the differences between its new audience and the target demographic of its predecessor. The parent company found success “talking straight” with their buyers, the men who would be wearing their wedding bands.The sister company wasn’t achieving similar success in selling to the stylish women they hoped would covet their engagement rings.
This misunderstanding of their target demographic led to mixed messaging and a host of issues that diluted the impact of their marketing spend.
When Hill & Co. became involved, this company faced the challenge of overcoming:
- Ill-defined brand personality
- Lackluster products with generally uninspiring descriptions
- A simplistic website that didn’t match the owners’ vision
- A joyless UX (user experience) highlighting uninspired designs without any story
We immediately got to work implementing practical revisions to their existing website, social media, and other assets, including:
- Redeveloping the brand logo, colors and overall appearance of each part of the messaging
- Defining the brand voice to be used in content and social marketing
- Redesigning the existing website for a more intuitive UX
- Using storytelling to entice and excite customers
- Equipping the client with educational tools to inform and educate their customers about the nature and quality of the gems and precious metals used, to foster an appreciation and understanding as to the superior value of their choices.
The resulting brand and website are a fresh take that unifies the owners’ vision with the much-needed marketing insights to prepare them for impending success: engagement increased, customers became intrigued, and those all-important orders started flowing in.